Thursday, March 19, 2009

Conflicted about My Kids

I am in a real quandary here, folks, and I need some help. It involves a couple of my children.

First, my oldest son, Matt, has just gotten an offer letter from MIT. They are giving him a full ride scholarship and a generous stipend to go to MIT and be a masters/doctoral student for the next few years and to be a research assistant.

That is all well and good, of course, but I have a real issue with this. It's the M in MIT. It stands for Massachusetts and is in the Boston area. Boston, as you may well know, is the source of all evil in the world - home of the Boston Red Sox.

Can I support my son as he moves to Babylon, to the seat of world evil? It is a tough choice.

Now, my youngest son, Ben, also presents me with a difficult choice. When he came to me as a freshman and said, "I'm quitting basketball next year to concentrate on Show Choir" - I gave him his freedom - ignoring the knife in my back. It worked out pretty well, getting him a full-ride music scholarship.

But next week, he is performing at Morningside College in a night of OPERA. Yes, folks, I said OPERA!

Here's the question: am I expected, as a father, to attend a night of opera music to support my son. I sat through hours and hours of show choir. Haven't I done enough?

Someone, please, give me some good advice.

1 comment:

  1. this is funny Dave. And of course you have to support your sons. :) If Matt is at MIT and you get to go watch a Yankees/RedSox game, won't that be fun? You can root for the Yanks as the Sox beat them. :)

    Go to the Opera. I don't understand it at all. But they say it is an acquired taste. I'm glad my family likes motocross racing, now. Even if we spend almost as much time in the hospital as we do on the racetracks.

    You have a gorgeous family! selahV

    ReplyDelete